7 Habits of Highly Successful Homeowners: A Path to Thriving Homeownership
"Every action you take is a vote for the person you wish to become." -James Clear
The Thrive Tribe works with (future) homeowners every day and we've noticed a few things they do that make homeownership a positive experience for them. I've gathered them below in what we call the 7 Habits of Highly Successful Homeowners.
1. Successful homeowners seek advice from their agent only. They don't call their other "agent friends" to get their input, too. This is important, not because their agent is afraid someone is going to give better advice than they can offer, but because no other agent has gone on the home journey with you, so their "advice" lacks a lot of context and key details. Hire an agent you trust and then...trust them.
2. Hold every potential home with an open hand...the home buying process can be an emotional one. The buyers I've worked with that have had the most positive buying experience don't set their hearts on only one home. When they find one they love, they move forward with it, of course. But they hold it with an open hand...if it works out, then great! But if something comes up (inspection, title work, etc.), they let it go with confidence knowing something better is out there for them.
3. Successful homeowners do things in the right order. They understand they can't start house shopping without pre-approval, and they value their agent's guidance from the beginning. When the home buying process is implemented in the right order, buyers are less likely to miss a home they love and are much more likely to win against any competing offers.
4. Successful homeowners perform maintenance tasks regularly. They understand the value of caring for their largest investment and do a few things each month to maintain and improve the condition of their home. This is why we post a Monthly Homeowner Checklist to break down 8-10 things you can do that month to keep your home in the best shape. Doing so will not only make your home more enjoyable for you, but it will help you get the most money out of it some day when you sell your home.
5. Research the pros and cons of market value before making renovations. Homeowners that pour time, energy, and money into their homes to make them a more enjoyable place to live need to understand that every renovation won't necessarily add value to your home. That shouldn't stop them from making changes they really want, but they need to be aware of what renovations increase value and which ones don't.
6. Successful homeowners develop cleaning and decluttering habits that keep their homes an enjoyable, peaceful place to live. It's hard to regret buying something that gives you so much peace and fulfillment like a clean, organized home can. Regularly cleaning and decluttering your home also makes selling your home one day a lot less stressful of a process. So do a little work each week so that you can reap the rewards now and in the future.
7. Successful homeowners practice gratitude and avoid comparison. When homeowners take the time to journal and be grateful for the home they own, they're less likely to experience envy when they see other homes they love. Comparison really is the thief of joy so fight the urge to compare your home to your neighbors, your best friend, or strangers on the internet. You are better off focusing on the beauty in your own home.
With patience, discipline, and the implementation of these 7 habits, you will become a successful homeowner. When you're ready to embark on this exciting journey, our team is here to help. You can use the chat function on our website or contact us here to get started.